My family from California when they came to visit. It was a special time and was so glad to have them here in person for awhile. Vance, Leta, Danny and me captured in a selfie taken by my brother.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

2010 Olympics from Vancouver B.C.

This is the first time in my whole life that I have actually sat down and watched most of the games and events. I especially like the ice skating, snowboard half-pipe, short track speed skating and most of the ski events. I have found myself yelling and screaming at the t.v. to urge on the Olympians and sitting with a look of sheer horror on my face after a bobsled or skier would crash (there were some really spectacular falls etc.).

I particularly liked the pairs ice skating and the ice dancers, but all of them just made the skating look like magic. They all floated through their routines and the medals went to the right skaters. The snowboarders and ski aerialists looked like they hung in mid-air during each routine. They defied gravity and performed a ballet in the air.

The speed skating (short and long track both, as well as all distances) was amazing. How do they stay up as they go around the curves? By all rights the skates should just fly out from underneath the skaters, but they dug in and held their places. A wonder to watch.

I have learned that the winter Olympics are actually my favorite, with the swimming sports and gymnastics from the summer games coming in a close second.

No comments: