My family from California when they came to visit. It was a special time and was so glad to have them here in person for awhile. Vance, Leta, Danny and me captured in a selfie taken by my brother.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Fitting Monument

This is the mountain top - Mills Peak in the Sierra Mountains of Northern California - that is the final resting place for my parents, Arlys Louise and Harry Aaron Hemping. They are together overlooking the land that they fell in love with many years ago (the mid-50s) and made their home from then on. My mother was a "housewife" and my father worked for the U. S. Forest Service. They raised two of us. We are ten years apart in age so it was like they had two families.

I left home at 18 (two years of college and then to San Francisco to work for the U. S. Government) and from then on I was a visitor in their home. I kept in close contact over the years, mainly by letters (yep - snail mail) and telephone calls. I would call home and even though it was mom that I talked to, my dad was on the other line listening in and ever once in a while he would "add his two cents worth" on whatever subject we happened to be talking about.

I just went back to Graeagle for a visit and the homes that seemed so big when I was growing up now seem so small. It is amazing how time makes things seem to shrink. The house that we were living in when I left home is now a shop called Eco Centric. Seems strange to see display shelves and cases in place of the furniture that I remember. Time marches on with very little regard to those of us that leave.

No comments: