My family from California when they came to visit. It was a special time and was so glad to have them here in person for awhile. Vance, Leta, Danny and me captured in a selfie taken by my brother.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

What My Future Could Have Been

I wrote this the other day while I was sitting at a table in my favorite eating place here in Eldersburg - Mo's Cafe.

Today I had a glimpse of what I wanted my life to be in my golden years.  Walking hand in hand with my husband.  An older couple walked out of Mo's holding hands for one of three reasons - he was guiding her, she was making sure he didn't walk too fast for her or just because they were still in love like a couple of kids.

As it turns out, it was a mixture of two reasons - she needed help to get around safely and because they loved each other like they did when they were kids.  He still opens the car door for her and gives her a big smile as she settles herself into the front seat.

It is nice to see.  This is the way it should be for everyone in a perfect world.  However, for most of us we can just watch and dream of what could have been if things had happened differently.  For me, if Paul were still here and we were holding hands it would have been to keep him from walking too fast and leaving me behind (he never slowed down and had a military stride except at the very end).  It was this way even when we were young.  I had to hold on to a belt loop on his pants and reign him in.  That was our reality.

No comments: