My family from California when they came to visit. It was a special time and was so glad to have them here in person for awhile. Vance, Leta, Danny and me captured in a selfie taken by my brother.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas 2011



As you can see by the date on the picture it was taken in July. These are the Sierra Buttes and yes they still had snow on them in July. This was my first trip home since I went home for my father’s funeral in 2007. This was the highlight of my year to say the least.

They first six months of the year were fairly normal and run of the mill. I got up each morning, ate breakfast, and depending on the day I either stayed home and “futzed” around the house or I went to the gym. I also spent time reading, watching television and being on my computer keeping in touch with family and friends via digital means. I must admit that I also made use of those old fashioned means of communication – pen and paper. I still have a few friends that do not make use of modern technology and I have to resort to putting pen to paper and actually slowing down my mind to allow the words to flow.

Going to the gym was good for me. I have gotten more exercise in the past few months than in all of the years since I graduated from college (I hate to admit it but that was 1966). It has helped me to lose 50 pounds or thereabouts depending on the day etc. It has been a long time since I have felt this energetic. It is nice to go walking and not have your back hurt etc. I was at the 30 pound milestone when I made my trip to California and it helped considerably – I fit in the seat comfortably and I did not have to ask for a seatbelt. I was in 7th heaven. I have since lost the additional weight and I noticed the other day that it won’t be long before I will have to buy some new clothes that fit better. I have another 50 to go before I reach my ultimate goal. It may take some time, but I am confident that I will make it. The reward at the end is a trip to New Zealand to visit my pen pal.

I would have been farther ahead in my goals if I had not lost a fight with my driveway on the Fourth of July, just four days before I left for California. I took a wrong step and ended up face first in the dirt. I had a purple eye and a bummed up left foot (a really bad sprain and a small fracture) that put me in a “black boot” for six weeks. The flight to California was not the best, except it was nice to have someone push me around the airports in a wheelchair from one point to the next. By the time I got to Reno, got to my room and took off the boot my whole foot was purple and swollen. I guess that it did not like the changes in altitude along the way.

However, I did not let this mishap stop me from having a grand time in California. A week in the mountains with my family was very enjoyable. The weather was magnificent – temps in the 70s and low humidity; the views from the “cabin” (a three-bedroom, two bath A-frame with all of the amenities) were very beautiful and being able to spend time with family was priceless. I was able to drive so I was not housebound, not that my brother would have let me sit around and do nothing. We revisited old haunts and places where we had lived as kids etc. I realized something – things that appeared large in our childhood were actually rather small. I guess our memories tend to make things larger than life. This trip did bring back some really nice memories. My second week was spent at Vance’s house in Cottonwood after which I drove back to Reno via Susanville so that I could see just how much my college town had changed – WOW!!!! Recognized just one thing – the theater on Main Street.

After I came home, things slowed down quite a bit, except for the weather and bouts of excitement provided by Mother Nature. Within a very short period of time we had a hurricane resulting in massive flooding, an earthquake and an early snowstorm, all of which hit the Mid Atlantic states with a furry. The earthquake was the biggest surprise. I did not feel the shaking but I was at the gym and it sounded like a freight train ran across the roof. I did not realize it was a quake until a fellow exercise buff came in and told me. The hurricane and the snowstorm just brushed by us personally, but hit other parts of the state harder. For some reason we seem to be in a “protected” zone that doesn’t get hit as hard as everyone else. We get our share of unpleasant stuff, but we come through relatively unscathed.

We have had more than our fair share of grey and gloomy days over the past couple of months, but nothing that we should really complain about – even though I do because they can be depressing for me. I am a sunshine, blue skies and warm weather person and make no bones about admitting it. Going into winter is not my favorite time of the year and already I am eagerly looking forward to the coming of spring and warm temperatures.

All in all this has been a decent year. I have had good times with family and friends and look forward to continuing these activities. Maybe I will even expand on them. I hope that everyone has a happy holiday season, whether it is Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza or whatever, and that 2012 brings you loads of love, good cheer and happy moments.

No comments: