The above numbers represent prices quoted to me for a new flue for my oil furnace. The first company (which shall remain nameless) came to the house, inspected the flue and told me that it was in very bad shape and the following things needed to be done: a large hole cut in my basement wall so that the terra cotta tiles lining the current flue could be broken up and retrieved; a new 5" stainless steel flue inserted; an insulating material added to the chimney; fix the hole in the basement wall; replace the crown of the chimney and install a new rain cap. All of this was going to cost me $3349.
Sticker shock hit and I called a second company to inspect the flue and give me an estimate. They came, checked things out and quoted me the price of $1269. Why so much difference in the prices I asked. I was told that the first company had added all sorts of procedures to inflate the price. I was so glad that I called the second company (one that I had dealt with in the past and new to be honest). I had my flue repaired that very afternoon and I was given a lifetime warranty on the work as well, something that company number 1 did not offer.
I am so glad that I called company number 2. I had the money to pay both companies but being the "tightwad" that I am I did not want to part with so much money. I am of the opinion that company number 1 thought they saw an easy mark. I may have had blond hair at one time, but I have never been "dumb". Only goes to show that it pays to get a second opinion, someone may be trying to take advantage of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment