George Davis was one of the three muskateers. There was him, Bill Sims and my Paul. Their favorite place to hang out was the mechanic shop down at the corner. This friendship started in 1986 when we moved to Carroll County and grew into a "family". Bill is the only one left. George died on Easter morning. It is a big loss, he was one of the good guys. He had some medical issues that were starting to wear him down and then the final blow was dealt.
He found out about two months ago that he had cancer. He had enough time to go through two bouts of chemo and one bout of radiation, none of which worked. He was tired and in a lot of pain at the end but he is now at peace. Someone told me today that he is in heaven with Paul and they are sitting around having a cold beer. I can picture them doing exactly that.
The three muskateers - they were quite a group. Theirs was the kind of friendship that is hard to find. If one needed help the other two were there no questions asked. George and his significant other, Joan, became my friends as well.
George was my "oyster stew" buddy. I have a family tradition of making oyster stew every Christmas Eve (been a tradition with me since before I can remember); however, neither Paul nor Terry liked oyster stew I needed someone to help me eat it every year. So on Christmas Eve I made it and on Christmas Day I would take a big jar of it over to George. Now I have to find someone else to share my oyster stew with - it's not the same unless you have someone to share it with. He has been sharing with me for 23 years - I have lost a good friend.
I have but one regret - I was not as good a friend to George as Paul was. I should have visited him more often after Paul died, but I didn't. George and Joan were in my thoughts a lot over the years, but it was Christmas Day before I would actually see them.
George's "gathering" is Wednesday. Terry and I will be going to pay our last respects. Bill will be there - the only muskateer left. Joanie and I will have to represent the other two members of the group. It is sad saying good-bye for the last time.
No comments:
Post a Comment