My family from California when they came to visit. It was a special time and was so glad to have them here in person for awhile. Vance, Leta, Danny and me captured in a selfie taken by my brother.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Home Sweet Home

This is my house as of the first of November. Mother Nature was trying to decide if she wanted fall or spring. The leaves were changing to fall colors, but my spring flowers (climatis and petunias) were in full bloom.

As you can see I am into Pennsylvania Dutch hex signs (more pics later) and I am proud to say that the shutters were designed and handmade by yours truly. The colors and design were taken from my hex signs. I can truthfully say that I am the only one in the neighborhood (in fact the town) with yellow shutters. They were my very first project after I retired. Took me a couple of weeks to do and the carpenter who replaced my windows was nice enough to put them up for me. Terry is not all that thrilled with them but "tough noogies" -- it is my house and I like them.





This is so neat - the very first pics that I have attached. I learn something new everyday. One day I will locate my book about hex signs and tell you what the signs mean - all I can remember now is that they are two different designs for a bird called distlefink and they usually stand for good luck and happy things. I don't particularly like the ones that ward off evil spirits - they are not at colorful or as pretty.


1 comment:

Erica said...

I love your shutters Auntie. I think they are beautiful and cheerful. Great choice in colors.